Worship is the practice of “stepping away” from the pattern and press of daily life to intentionally love God. In doing so, the disciple gains a deeper understanding and experience of the majesty, mercy and mystery of God. In worship we praise God for being God. For being our God! As the Psalmist says: “Worship the Lord with gladness, come before Him with joyful songs. Know that the Lord is God.” (Ps 100: 2-3)
As disciples of Jesus, we can honor God in numerous ways: through liturgy; through the creative act of art, drama, dance, craft, music and song; through listening to a sermon or receiving the Sacrament; through an encounter with God in the beauty of creation, and more. Although worship may take a variety of forms, the maturing disciple understands that regular worship in a community of faith, alongside brothers and sisters in Christ, is key to a life of devotion.
Attached to the numerous ways to honor God is our human tendency to identify what we like, what we prefer, what we enjoy, and what we expect from worship.
- I like the relaxed atmosphere of a contemporary service.
- I prefer the old, familiar hymns over the loud drums and guitar music.
- I really enjoy the Children’s Sermon.
- I didn’t get much out of the service today.
In his book The Purpose Driven Life, Pastor Rick Warren writes, “Worship is not for our benefit. Worship is not about what we can get out of it. It is not about our pleasure, it is not about our likes and dislikes. Worship is all about God. Worship is bringing glory, honor, pleasure and joy to God.”
The motivation of a faithful disciple of Jesus is to bring glory and pleasure to our Creator, just as Jesus did. As such worship is not part of your life, it is your life. A lifestyle of worship is doing everything as if you were doing it for Jesus.
Worship Opportunities at Faith Lutheran Include:
- Regular participation in Sunday worship services. 9:00 Traditional or 10:30 Contemporary.
- Private worship in the Chapel at any time.
- Bring glory to God by loving Him supremely in all that you do.
- Bring honor to God by trusting Him completely.
- Make God smile by obeying Him whole heartedly.
- Bring joy to God through stewardship of time, talent and treasure.
- Praise God by thanking Him continually for who He is, what He has done and what He continues to do.
- Serve on the Worship & Music Committee to help design meaningful worship services, recruit people for worship leading and enhance the worship experience at Faith.
“You are a unique person, designed by God, to glorify Him as only you can do.” Pastor Alton Knutson, Faith member, Pastor at Faith 1985-1993 and longtime missionary to Japan.